Sunday, July 20, 2008

To consolidate something ... not the same thing in every language

My native tongue is Dutch and I am fluent in French too. Lately I noticed something funny. Some people make a quite odd translation to Dutch of the verb consolidate.

The first time I heard it I thought that I was mistaking but it was repeated a couple of times during the conversation. Just to be sure I looked on Wikipedia where it is explained as the act of merging many things into one. So in the context of virtualization this would make sense.

If we have a look at the explanation that the Dutch dictionary VanDale gives we see as result "bestendigen" which means to continue, to remain in force.

So as you can tell not quite the same thing. I did some more research and noticed that google translate makes the same mistake.

No comments: